At Kinnu our mission is to build a platform for the future of learning. We are combining proven discoveries in neuroscience and cognitive science with community to massively increase the rate of learning. We’ve raised an angel round from some of the best investors in the UK such as:
- Tom Hulme (partner at Google Ventures)
- Rene Rechtman (CEO Moonbug, just existed for $3b)
- Guy Podjarny (CEO of Snyk, valued at >$8b)
- Tom Leathes (CEO of Motorway, valued at >$1b)
- Adelina Grozdanova (Founder of Upgrade, valued at >$6b)
About the founders
- We love building products that people love but also have meaning and purpose.
- We’ve built startups with 10s of millions of users
- Our last startup, Qriously, was funded by some of the best investors in the world and was acquired in 2019.
- We have experience working at some of the best companies in the world, like Deliveroo and Google.
- We’re pretty geeky.
Is this you?
- You’re a great engineer who wants to put your talent to work doing something meaningful in the world. Like, not just optimising for clicks on ads.
- You care about ownership. You will receive equity in Kinnu and we want that to make you feel like you’re really part of what we’re doing.
- You have worked at and enjoyed, or are interested in, working at a startup.
- You want to work in an intellectually safe environment where you can be yourself.
- You love learning. A plus – you’re interested in the brain / psychology / neuroscience and changing patterns of behaviour in today’s world.
- You’re not afraid of a bit of chaos and changing structure / direction.
- You believe the best way to get the most out of employees is just to trust them (cause that’s what we do. You decide what you need to be effective, not us).
- You don’t blindly follow orders and subscribe to a philosophy of disagree and commit.
- You value open feedback both on the giving and receiving end.
- You’re intellectually meritocratic (best idea wins, no matter where it’s from)
- Spending 6 hours on a ‘work day’ accidentally going down a rabbithole with us thinking about the meaning of life, quantum computing or cognitive biases sounds like fun.
This job is probably not for you if:
- You’re only motivated by the size of your pay cheque.
- Another company’s / startup’s mission is more appealing (this is totally cool with us, just be honest with yourself).
- You only feel comfortable if you’re told what to do.
- Be one of the first engineers on the team, working directly with the founders.
- Develop and maintain our backend.
- Do some sysadmin stuff as well
- Be responsible for quality control (we don’t have a dedicated role), so yes, tests please.
- Enjoy writing clean, readable, and testable code
- Solid understanding of java / kotlin.
- RESTful APIs
- Git of course
- Databases (how to use them efficiently, not how to make one. Do NOT make one!)
- Experience in software development in general, ie. your previous employers have already paid for the stupid mistakes we all make in the first years.